Wednesday, December 18, 2013

A Long December

After a long hiatus, I am back to keep a promise. I promised some friends long ago that I would create a beginning anthology for poetry - the poetry that has inspired and lifted me. As a warning, I would like to establish that I am very contemporary in taste, and not very subtle. But here is what I have loved in poetry thus far --

Antilamentation by Dorianne Laux

- This is the poem that keeps me going, keeps me alive and young. It tells me to embrace my sadness, but also my happiness. It is living.

My Sweet Old Etcetera by e e cummings

- One of the many works that made me a pacifist. But I love the way cummings does love. It's tender but not overly sweet. I also love his erotic poetry. If you liked this, also check out I like my body.

Choose Something Like a Star by Robert Frost

- A poem that I hold close to my heart as an atheist. Many of Frost''s more ethereal poetry really appeals to me and feels more experimental, both in theme and tone. If you would like to hear the choir version of this, which I also love click here.

Helen of Troy Does Countertop Dancing by Margaret Atwood

- A tale of a goddess who is a stripper, but also, it feels to me, a proud feeling of femininity and pride. Who knows, I like it. Never be ashamed.

Are You Drinking by Charles Bukowski

- We all feel this way sometimes, I think. I know I do. A poem for the tired.

Coming and Going by Tony Hoagland

-  A poem about divorce and emotion.

No comments:

Post a Comment